Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Lady on the Moon"

Go down

"The Lady on the Moon" Empty "The Lady on the Moon"

Post by WhiteShaman on September 30th 2009, 12:37 pm

I just learned of an upcoming holiday from a Chinese girl at work who brought in goodies to celebrate what is called The Mid-Autumn Festival or more commonly, The Moon Festival.
It is the second largest festival in countries like China, Vietnam and Korea and has been around for over 3,000 years! (and I just heard of it!)
One way that it is celebrated is to eat mooncakes and jasmine tea with loved ones as you gaze at the bright harvest moon which is this weekend.
This is what my co-worker brought in to share with us and it was delicious!
After going back to my desk and reading more about it, I thought it interesting and worthy of sharing here that one of the deities honored at this festival with the burning of incense is called Chang’e.
As you can see below, she is not a personification of the moon like other goddesses from various cultures, she is literally “The lady on the moon”.
I wonder how it got changed to “The man on the moon” here in the west? Ha!
Personally, I will try to adopt this practice to add to my ways of honoring the moon goddess this Saturday and as I do I will recall the story below of Chang’e, who lives upon this goddess.
Check it out!
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

…….Once upon a time, the earth had ten suns. They burned the crops and people suffered infertility. Houyi sympathized with humans, so he decided to shoot down nine suns and leave one for the benefit of the people. After he shot down the suns, he was treated as a hero. He had a beautiful wife named Chang'e, and they lived happily together. Houyi had a many apprentices; they followed him to learn hunting. One day, on Houyi’s way back home, the emperor of the immortals gave Houyi two pills, each of which granted eternal life as a reward for shooting down the suns, one was for Houyi, and the other for his wife. He warned Houyi, “Make no haste to swallow the pill.” Houyi was to wait until New Years Day, on which he and Chang'e were supposed to eat the pills together. Chang’e put the pill in her jewelry box for safekeeping. But Peng, one of Houyi’s apprentices, discovered their secret and decided to steal the pill. One day, when Houyi and other apprentices went to the mountain, Peng pretended to be sick so that he could stay home. After everyone had gone to the mountain, Peng sneaked into Chang’e’s room and forced her to give him the pill. Chang’e knew she couldn't fight Peng, so she ate the pill herself. However, after eating it alone, she began to float. Unable to come back to earth, she took flight and flew far, far away. She did not want to leave her husband, so she stopped at the moon, which is the body closest to Earth. After Houyi found out what happened, he was very angry and heartbroken. He looked up into the night and called Chang’e’s name. He discovered that inside the moon there was a lady’s shadow that look like Chang’e, so he ran and ran and tried to reach the moon. He failed due to the wind.

WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male
Number of posts : 495
Hobbies : Art, Nature, Volunteer work
Appreciation Points : 543
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

"The Lady on the Moon" Empty Re: "The Lady on the Moon"

Post by Vanilla2 on September 30th 2009, 12:46 pm

I haven't yet read all your post WhiteShaman, but my OH for the last two years, has brought home moon cake of which he was kindly given, in fact he brought some in only last Friday, (and very nice it tasted too) from his local Chinese food restaurant, never did know what the festival really meant until now, I shall now carry on reading. thank you.

Oh that is such a sad story.

Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on September 30th 2009, 5:32 pm

Love these ancient stories they provide many teachings and esoteric knowledge, i too will look up at the moon on Saturday and remember this story you have added. I have no problem looking up into the night sky it feels like home to me. Thanks for sharing this Amazing story WhiteShaman Praise

Many Blessings

Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2292
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2726
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman on October 1st 2009, 7:57 am

Spirit-Being wrote: I have no problem looking up into the night sky it feels like home to me.

I really like that statement!
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 on October 1st 2009, 8:55 am

WhiteShaman wrote:
Spirit-Being wrote: I have no problem looking up into the night sky it feels like home to me.

I really like that statement!

That statement is also having a strange effect on me. Spirit-Being is that because its mysterious, its tranquil and peacefull yet so unpredictable, its spacious, it can be both clear and dark at the same time, its uncluttered, undisturbed this list could go on Thank You

Administrators
Administrators

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on October 2nd 2009, 3:53 pm

I have no problem looking up into the night sky it feels like home to me.

Vanilla2 wrote:
That statement is also having a strange effect on me. Spirit-Being is that because its mysterious, its tranquil and peacefull yet so unpredictable, its spacious, it can be both clear and dark at the same time, its uncluttered, undisturbed this list could go on Thank You

This may sound strange and i do not mean it to but
I have come to realize that although i am on this earth and have a human body, i know i shall not be in this body forever one day it shall turn to dust. For me my true home is beyond the earth, and that is why i truly love looking at the stars & moon at night. I feel earth is just temporary for all of us, it may be our home at the moment, but where will we go when our time here on earth is finished? This question has inspired me to search for answers, and i have found the only way to find answers such as this is to search inside ourselves, and listen to our guidance.

Many Blessings

Founder
Founder

Male
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on October 5th 2009, 11:22 pm

Saturday Night was cloudy and did not get a chance to honor the moon goddess, but i did go out the next day and look up at the moon and remember Chang'e.

Many Blessings

Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on October 5th 2009, 11:30 pm

WhiteShaman wrote:she is literally “The lady on the moon”.
I wonder how it got changed to “The man on the moon” here in the west?

Definitely something to think about i did do some research and found this image of the moon and some things people see on the moon.

"The Lady on the Moon" Moon2

Many Blessings

Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman on October 6th 2009, 7:47 am

Thanks Spirit-being..very interesting.
Do you know since I posted the info On the lady in the moon..2 other people have said, out of the blue to me that they see a girls face in the moon!
What a cooincidence.
We missed it Sat as well but Sunday was good and yesterday and this morning were awesome..not full but beautiful.
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 on October 6th 2009, 1:04 pm

Do you know what i see, I see a baby foetus curled up inside the mothers womb. New life waiting to emerge

Administrators
Administrators

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman on October 6th 2009, 1:13 pm

Vanilla2 wrote:Do you know what i see, I see a baby foetus curled up inside the mothers womb. New life waiting to emerge

Cool!
Interesting, considering the moon's essence is said to be feminine by nature! It is a she!
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down